A New York Liberty Blog

Monday, October 1, 2007

They Did It

Yup. They did it. Surprised?

The Americans won the FIBA Championship, as if the way they have been playing ever left us in any doubt. 101-71 over Cuba? Is that a game, or an extended warm-up?

I found a Livejournal site out there from a Maryland fan. Major Shout-outs to the writer for propping the Libertine and letting me link to her LiveJournal site (some people don't like to make their LJ's PUBLIC-public, and hey, I like ego-stroking as much as the next gent). She calls it "weirdly written".

I take that as a compliment.

She also makes note of a Shay Doron quote from the beginning of the season. From her site...

...Maryland star Shay Doron, in Cleveland for the WNBA's pre-draft camp, said she's troubled that worries about sexual orientation take away from what players are doing on the court.

"I feel like you should accept anyone for the people they are, and hopefully as time goes, and the new generations start filling in, we can get over that hump," Doron said....


Too true, Doron. Too true. However, I don't think it's "worries" so much about sexual orientation as curiosity, morbid fascination, and some people looking for any way to denegrate players, whether for legitimate reasons or not. Put simply, if most of American society feels that sports are inherently masculine and that lesbians are inherently abnormal, it only takes a...

..."small"...

...logical leap to believe that the WNBA is itself inferior (I would link to sites, but really, you can find them on your own, and I don't want to give them anymore traffic than they already get). It's not me. It's not you. It's not the WNBA. It's not the fans. It's not lesbians. It's not anything else like this. It's some people...


...looking for a way to make their penises seem bigger. And if they feel that the only way to do that is to insult someone else and take focus away from the larger picture, either by implying that women's sports are inferior or that lesbians dominate the sport, well then, we're going to be dealing with these morons for a loooooooong time.

Enough depressing talk. Let's get some Liberty news!

Janel McCarville's "report card" is up on the Libs' site. She also updated her blog. Is there anything she can't do?

More stuff on everybody's... well, just my... favorite German basketball star, Martina Weber. Once again, it's in German, but there's some nice shots of her there. Keep on workin' it, Weber.

Really, that's about it. I'm sure there's more info out there, but I'm working (ostensibly) and writing up a storm. So, I gotta cut you guys off somewhere. Until next time?

See ya, Space Cowboy...

2 comments:

AAEmotion said...

Haha, I contemplated wording 'weirdly written' in another way, but then (stupidly) deduced that you'd probably never read my LJ, so I left it at that. Weirdly written applies only to the fact that I'm an Aussie, and often times the images and comparisons to other things you make, fly way over my head - so you're blog is forever making me google things - or er ... click on the links you supply yourself ha.

So technically, the weird is on my part ... but like I said - I'm an Aussie so, that's forgiven ... right? ;)

The Writer said...

Like I said, I take the "weird" as a compliment. It differentia... differenti... makes me look different from the normal blog.

Once again, props. And if you ever need explanation, just comment or email. I try to answer them all.

In accordance with the Fair Use Copyright Law, The Libertine uses logos and registered trademarks of the WNBA to inform fans (and the public at large). Not all photos on the rest of the site, however, are used with permission. If you own a specific image on this site, and want it removed, please e-mail The Writer (stf210@hotmail.com, but please include "Libertine" in the title; otherwise, it will be deleted) and he will be more than happy to remove it, with apologies. The Libertine is a non-profit blog.

Counter