A New York Liberty Blog

Monday, October 8, 2007

I Want You (She's So Heavy)...

That sound you hear is Lennon and Harrison rolling over in their graves.

Before I get started, I want to warn you all against an insidious film that left me feeling hollow on the inside and sugar-coated on the outside. I am talking, of course, about Across the Universe.

Now, I'm sure a few of you out there like Julie Taymor's work or liked Moulin Rouge or enjoy Beatles songs reduced to their very basic meanings without any context, underlying meaning, or reimagining done to them. I am not one of those people. The film was not a whole loss (The Draft/"I Want You" sequence was astonishingly good), but I went it wanting to like it, pleading to like it, and have proof that Julie Taymor actually knows how to construct a film that doesn't a.) lag in the middle, b.) lack a coherent structure, c.) have cutesyness or MTV-style shots for the hell of it, or d.) just skim the surface of the ideas that she's dealing with. Unfortunately, she went 0-4, and is now 0-3 in the films that I've seen of hers. Let me be blunt. Taymor knows how to fill a shot. She just doesn't know how to fill two and a half hours with meaning.

Still, I prefer Batman Returns to Batman Begins, so take my assesment with a grain of salt.

Onto the topic at hand...

A nice little piece about the Chicago Sky and working together. The "cooperation" and "family" the author discusses in the article didn't help the Sky into the playoffs, but hey, the WNBA can't just be the Liberty.

I'm sure most of you know that Margo Dydek (CON) is pregnant. What some of you may not know is that it might spell the end of her WNBA career. THAT would suck, although I can't say that I blame her.

The U.S. House of Representatives, when not taking bribes, evading taxes, taking endless breaks (while only "working" three days a week), and generally being major fuck-ups, can do some good. Hey, they just congratulated the Mercs on their WNBA Championship win. Now if they can fix that Iraq thing...

In Liberty news, nada. Loree Moore's up on the Lib's "report card" segment. Also, I've found more Weber shots, but that really only excites me.

Don't hate me; hate my y chromosome.

That's it for me. I've got too much work (though not so much that I can't see Blade Runner: Final Cut tonight at the Ziegfeld). The NHL is gearing up, I'm grinding down. It's like living in a yellow submarine...

Now THERE is a Beatles film!


See ya, Space Cowboy...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i dont get it

In accordance with the Fair Use Copyright Law, The Libertine uses logos and registered trademarks of the WNBA to inform fans (and the public at large). Not all photos on the rest of the site, however, are used with permission. If you own a specific image on this site, and want it removed, please e-mail The Writer (stf210@hotmail.com, but please include "Libertine" in the title; otherwise, it will be deleted) and he will be more than happy to remove it, with apologies. The Libertine is a non-profit blog.

Counter